Osteoarthritis is a degenerative disease where the articular cartilage that cushions the ends of bones becomes progressively more damaged. Trauma to the joint, through injury or wear and tear, will incite a cascade of events involving release of inflammatory mediators.
These mediators result in the sensation of pain, as well as promoting the ongoing degradation of cartilage and thickening of the subchondral bone and synovium.
Many factors contribute to osteoarthritis:
- Increasing age
- Trauma or injury to the joints
- Poor nutrition
- Poor conformation
Supplements can help restore balance to damaged joints
Targeted joint supplements can protect and support articular cartilage.
The active ingredients in joint supplements can help restore balance to the damaged cartilage by stimulating production of the building blocks of cartilage, reducing ongoing destruction, as well as reducing production of pain inciting pro-inflammatory mediators.
PAW by Blackmores uses a two-step approach to joint care
STEP 1: EVERYDAY JOINT CARE FOR DOGS
Nourish and rebuild cartilage with PAW Osteocare Joint Health Chews
- They are low-fat, tasty, kangaroo-based chews formulated to help improve joint health and function in dogs
- They contain high levels of three premium active ingredients essential for cartilage health—glucosamine, chondroitin and MSM.
- Dogs that are predisposed to osteoarthritis (large breed dogs, overweight dogs, very active dogs)
- Dogs displaying clinical symptoms of osteoarthritis (e.g. lameness, stiffness, pain, reluctance to run and play) in conjunction with Osteosupport
- Dogs recovering from joint injury or surgery (e.g. cruciate repair).
STEP 2: ADVANCED ARTHRITIS CARE FOR CATS AND DOGS
Relieve inflammation and pain with PAW Osteosupport Joint Care Powder
- Osteosupport Joint Care Powder is a highly concentrated supplement containing 100% New Zealand green lipped mussel powder
- Green lipped mussel is a natural, rich source of a unique blend of omega-3 fatty acids, including DHA, EPA, EHA, and ETA, which effectively reduce intra-articular inflammation in cats and dogs
- Provides fast-acting, effective pain relief—80% of pet owners said they could see improvements in their pet’s comfort levels in less than three weeks
- Supports cartilage production and reduces ongoing destruction
- Ideal for dogs and cats exhibiting clinical symptoms of osteoarthritis, such as stiffness and reluctance to play or jump
- Safe to be used in conjunction with other veterinarian-prescribed medications.
ADDITIONAL SUPPORT: ANTI-INFLAMMATORY OMEGA-3 FATTY ACIDS
Relieve inflammation and reduce cartilage damage with PAW Fish Oil 500: Veterinary Strength for dogs
- It’s a concentrated blend of highly purified and quality-tested liquid fish oil with no artificial colours or flavours
- It contains the US National Research Council recommended EPA: DHA ratio of 55:45 for dogs who have different requirements to humans
- Supplementation with EPA/DHA is beneficial as it reduces prostaglandin and pro-inflammatory mediator production
- Indicated for the management of mild to chronic osteoarthritis as part of multi-modal therapy
- Can potentially act as an NSAID-sparing adjunct in cases of severe osteoarthritis.