Dog days

Photo: Arunus Klapsas

Dr Greg Bryant, veterinarian and orchid-grower, kept a diary while working at greyhound tracks across NSW because he saw things that he found “hard to accept”.  What he recorded helped ban the industry.  By Alex Gilly

On the evening of 17 December, 2014, at the greyhound track at Richmond in Sydney’s far west, the trainers led their dogs into their boxes for Race 3. It was early summer. According to the steward’s report, the weather that day was fine, the track condition good. Eight runners were starting. Wilby Mighty, a three-year-old blue greyhound, had drawn the third box out from the rail along which the mechanical lure runs. The ordeal he was about to suffer would lead a vet to testify before a commission, which would produce a report that would convince a government to outlaw greyhound racing in New South Wales.

The siren sounded, the gate raised and the dogs careered out of their boxes in pursuit of the lure. Wilby Mighty made a poor start; he went wide at the first corner, where he was blocked—‘checked’ in greyhound jargon—by another dog, forcing him to veer towards the rail.

Dr Greg Bryant, the on-track veterinarian rostered on that day, was standing near the first bend. He had learned from another on-track vet, Dr John Newell, that this was the best place to stand.

“John was a very experienced and very compassionate vet,” says Dr Bryant. “He told me you should always stand in certain places at certain tracks. The first bend, or any of the finishing lines, is a good place to stand. At Richmond from the 500 boxes, they come down past the winning post, go around that first bend, and then there’s what’s called the catching pens just past the first bend. If a dog goes down at that first bend, if you don’t get it off, the lure’s going to come past again, and the dog is going to go into the catching pen, and it’ll get hit by the other dogs.”

No dog went down in Race 3. Wilby Mighty placed fifth, outside the money. But after the race, the steward, a retired police officer named Norm Becroft, noticed that Wilby Mighty was injured. He sent him to be examined by Dr Bryant.


In a statement he later made to Greyhound Racing NSW (GRNSW), the peak body governing the sport in
the state, Becroft said that Wilby Mighty had an obvious injury to his tail. “The tail had blueish coloured hair and was missing hair on the end of the tail. I could see that the tail was broken and bent at an extreme angle approximately 9cm from the tip of the tail. I could see flesh and bone.”

Becroft was present when Gareth Miggins, Wilby Mighty’s trainer, brought the dog to Dr Bryant’s room. “On examination there was a laceration exposing the bones and a fracture in the distal quarter of the tail,” wrote Bryant in his statement to GRNSW. He cleaned the dog’s wound with Betadine, applied some local anaesthetic and bandaged his tail. Then he gave Wilby Mighty a shot of Domitor against the pain, as well as some antibiotics. “Replays of the race suggested that this injury had occurred after the tail struck the running rail,” Bryant told GRNSW.

Becroft said in his statement that he heard Dr Bryant advise Miggins that Wilby Mighty had suffered a serious injury and needed to be taken to a veterinary clinic immediately. Bryant told the trainer that the dog needed to have his tail properly amputated at a clinic equipped with anaesthetic and bone cutters. “Dr Bryant was very clear and most persistent in telling Mr Miggins that he had to go to a vet clinic for Wilby Mighty’s welfare,” wrote Becroft.

Miggins, however, said he didn’t think he could get to a clinic that night; he didn’t know of any in the area, and he was worried by what it would cost. Miggins asked, was Greyhound Racing NSW going to pay for the amputation?

Becroft told Miggins that it was the owner’s responsibility to pay for Wilby Mighty’s veterinary treatment. Dr Bryant wrote down the name and address of a nearby veterinary clinic on the back of an envelope and gave it to Miggins.

“When you’re euthanising a greyhound, they’re looking at you with their eyes, they’re expecting you to help them, and you’re not. You’re taking their life.”—Dr Greg Bryant

The orchid grower

Greg Bryant, in his late fifties, has light blue eyes, a deeply furrowed forehead and the thick brown hair and advanced hairline of a younger man. He lives in the suburbs of Sydney, with his wife and children. Also in the house are a Labrador, two cats, a python and fish. There’s a twitchiness about Bryant that makes his brow continually crease and uncrease. His disarmingly limpid eyes dart from yours to some indefinite point and back again, as though he is contemplating some private thought, deciding whether to shepherd it into the conversation or not. Dr Bryant is not the type of person who speaks without thinking; and indeed, he gives the impression of being a man who thinks a lot more than he speaks.

Bryant didn’t start out wanting to be a vet. He grew up in the southern suburbs of Sydney, where his father, Alvin, grew orchids. Growing up, he’d hear stories from family members about his military forebears—a grandfather who had fought on the Western Front, an uncle in the RAAF who hadn’t returned from the Second World War—and as a boy Bryant wanted to be an Air Force pilot.

But then, in his early teens, he developed insulin-dependent diabetes. “It was a severe life change to a young teenager,” says Bryant. “But I was determined from an early age that I’d never use it as an excuse for not being able to do something.” Still, becoming a military pilot was now out of the question—the Air Force didn’t accept people with type 1 diabetes—and so, after reading James Herriot, Bryant decided to become a vet.

Bryant graduated from Sydney University’s vet school in January 1982 and immediately took a job with a practice in Newcastle. The owner of the practice, Philip Adams, “was a really good vet, a good guy to learn from, very ethical,” says Bryant. “He made an impression on me. The first professional experiences are important, I think.”

It was a good practice, but Bryant was young and restless; he took off for the UK, where he spent a year doing locums throughout the country. But the weather was awful, and Bryant took a trip to Spain in search of sunshine. On his way back to London, a storm diverted his flight from Heathrow to Gatwick; somewhere along the line, the airline lost his luggage. Bryant found himself at the airport with no clothes, facing a British winter. Rather than buy a new wardrobe, he decided to fly back to Australia.


Shortly after his return, Bryant’s father suffered a heart attack, and Bryant took over the nursery. He spent the next 10 years growing orchids for cut-flower export. The Bryant nursery was located on an acre and a half of land on what was then still the fringe of Sydney, and Bryant sometimes looked after neighbours’ horses or treated friends’ pets. Other than that, however, his focus was on orchids, not vet practice. He became an authority on cymbidiums—winter-blooming boat orchids with fantastically coloured flowers—which he exported by air freight to Europe until rising airfreight costs and fierce competition from New Zealand made the business increasingly challenging, and the booming Sydney property market made selling the acre and a half more alluring.

Bryant sold up, then spent the next seven years teaching veterinary science at TAFE, before searching for a new challenge. He heard that Greyhound Racing NSW were looking for track vets. Bryant had once done a locum for a vet practice in Baulkham Hills which did some greyhound work. He applied for the position. “Within a month or so of starting, they put me on their roster,” he says.


Later that evening at Richmond, Dr Bryant was suturing a wound on the face of a dog injured in Race 7 when one of the track staff came to tell him that there was a dog’s tail lying on the track near the 400 metre boxes. Dr Bryant asked the staff member to collect the tail in a plastic bag and bring it to him.

“The section of tail he had collected was consistent in size and appearance with the distal section of the injured tail from Wilby Mighty, wrote Dr Bryant in his statement to GRNSW. “The tail did not look to have been surgically removed but appeared more to have been pulled off due to the many long strands of tendons/ligaments/nerves that unevenly protruded from the section of removed tail. Some of the tendon strands were up to 30cm long. I can only imagine that the removal of the tail segment would have been very painful for the dog.”

Bryant took the section of tail to the steward, Norm Becroft. “The flesh and bone protruding from the end appeared red and was warm to the touch,” wrote Becroft in his statement. “From my experience in attending crime scenes for over 16 years as a NSW police officer, I formed the opinion that the piece of tail was extremely fresh and literally had only recently been severed. The sinews and nerves were still moist and remained extended when laid down, they didn’t recoil or shrivel to indicate that the moisture/fluids had evaporated or dried out at this time.”

Greyhound Racing NSW opened an investigation. It ordered a DNA analysis of the section of tail, which Becroft had preserved in his freezer. (Greyhound organisations often keep DNA records of dogs for pedigree purposes.) The analysis confirmed that the section of tail belonged to Wilby Mighty. GRNSW charged Miggins with four breaches of the Greyhounds Australasia Rules of Greyhound Racing, and suspended his trainer licence. Miggins was instructed to attend a hearing of the charges at the GRNSW headquarters at Rhodes in Western Sydney.

“A male greyhound is anywhere from 30 to 40 kilos, running up to 60kms per hour, and when they crash into each other, it’s a recipe for disaster.”—Dr Greg Bryant


A typical day for a track vet begins about 90 minutes before the first race, during kennelling. This is when the trainers bring in their dogs to be weighed, have their papers inspected by the stewards and the dogs examined by the vet. A typical race meet might consist of 10 races with eight dogs per race, plus reserves, plus trials. Dr Bryant says it wasn’t unusual for him to have to examine as many as a hundred dogs in the space of 45 minutes.

The sheer number of animals and the lack of time meant that his examinations were necessarily cursory. Trainers would place their dogs on a table and Dr Bryant would run his hands over them, look for signs of mistreatment, malnourishment or any medical condition. If he found any, he could recommend to the race steward that the dog be disallowed from racing. The final decision belongs to the steward, though in practice few stewards disregard the track vet’s recommendation. Sometimes, when Dr Bryant disallowed a dog from running, the animal’s trainer would turn on him. He once ruled out a dog with a cut four inches long on its hind leg; its owner threatened to kill him.

The greyhound—with its long, narrow muzzle, thrown-back ears and thick, strong neck reaching from a big chest that narrows to an astonishingly narrow waist—is muscular the way swimmers, rather than, say, weightlifters, are muscular. Its legs are long and astonishingly thin. Greyhounds have extremely flexible spines, tremendous muscle mass, fast-twitch muscles, large hearts, and a higher red blood cell count than other breeds.

Racing greyhounds are obliged to wear muzzles, which can make them appear aggressive, but virtually all accounts have them as a particularly gentle breed. “[Greyhounds] are great dogs; they’re really nice dogs,” says Dr Bryant. “When you are euthanasing a greyhound, they’re looking at you with their eyes, they’re expecting you to help them, and you’re not. You’re taking their life.” Dr Bryant looks away. “These gentle creatures.”

“A male greyhound is anywhere from 30 to 40 kilos, running up to 60kms per hour, and when they crash into each other, it’s a recipe for disaster,” he says. “Bones just get shattered, snapped. You’ll see dogs that have just got a leg dangling by a bit of skin, because the broken bones have severed the nerves and the arteries. You get these catastrophic injuries, and you get a lot of lesser injuries, sprains and strains.”


Part of a race steward’s job is to keep a record of all injuries suffered by dogs at meets. Dr Bryant could advise a steward of an injury, but it was up to the steward whether to report it or not. Dr Bryant worked as track vet for at least 10 different dog tracks across NSW, and, as he later testified to the inquiry commissioned by the state government, he began to notice that the injuries he was treating weren’t showing up in the stewards’ reports. Even dogs he had been obliged to euthanase weren’t
being recorded.

So in January, 2015, Dr Bryant started keeping a diary of his work as an on-track vet. Over the course of the next seven months, he attended 96 race meetings. Thirteen dogs died during that period. In his diary, he noted that he put down 12 himself, after they had suffered catastrophic injuries; the 13th died on the track.

On 16 February—six days after GRNSW charged Gareth Miggins—the ABC’s Four Corners program aired ‘Making a Killing’, an investigation into the ongoing practice of live-baiting in greyhound racing. The program shocked the nation. The NSW government commissioned an inquiry into the greyhound racing industry in the state. Dr Bryant was central to the inquiry, and his diary was presented as key evidence. In its Report, published on 16 June, 2016, the Commission credits “conscientious, former on-track veterinarian Dr Gregory Bryant” with helping bring the misconduct to light:

“Dr Bryant gave evidence that, while working as an on-track veterinarian, he observed that stewards’ reports did not record the fact that a dog has been euthanased at the track. This is also readily apparent from a comparison of the entries in Dr Bryant’s diary for the 13 dogs that died at the track from 10 January 2015 to 8 August 2015, with the corresponding stewards’ reports.

“Dr Bryant told the Commission that, on at least one occasion when he was working on-track, he asked a steward why the euthanasia of dogs at tracks was not recorded in the stewards’ reports. The steward told him this was because they, GRNSW, ‘didn’t want to stir up the greenies or give the greenies anything to complain about’.

“Dr Bryant told the Commission: ‘I found that to be hard to accept. I wasn’t happy about it.’”

“Dr Bryant gave evidence that, while working as an on-track veterinarian, he observed that stewards’ reports did not record the fact that a dog has been euthanased at the track.”—Special Commission of Inquiry into the Greyhound Racing Industry in NSW


On 16 May, 2015, at the final race of the night at the Bundaberg track in Queensland, Wilby Mighty was squeezed for room at the first corner and went wide, crashing into another dog. It was his last race: he was euthanased nine days later.

One evening in August, Dr Bryant was working at the Wentworth Park track in Sydney when he happened to glance up at a TV monitor carrying the Sky Channel’s coverage of the races in Rockhampton, Queensland. He saw Gareth Miggins loading a dog into a starting box. Bryant fired off an email to GRNSW’s manager of investigations, who forwarded it to the organisation’s chief steward. Bryant lamented that, despite the DNA evidence, the video evidence and the testimony of both Norm Becroft and himself, Miggins was still training dogs.

At the hearing in Rhodes, Miggins had claimed that Wilby Mighty’s tail had come off during the race, not after. Miggins had also obtained an opinion from another vet that he had acted in an appropriate manner when he had not immediately gone to a vet clinic to have the tail properly amputated that night.

When asked about the inquiry, a GRNSW spokesperson said, “GRNSW stewards held an inquiry hearing into four charges issued against Mr Gareth Miggins. On 9 August 2016 the Stewards wrote to Mr Miggins about their review of the evidence before the inquiry and requested further information in relation to one of the charges by 23 August 2016. Once the Stewards receive this information from Mr Miggins, they will make a decision in relation to the charges and this decision will be published on the GRNSW website.”

When Dr Bryant received the inconclusive reply from GRNSW, he tendered his resignation.

The investigation remains open.


“When I left Greyhound Racing NSW, my view of the industry was that it was a very cruel and corrupt industry,” Bryant told the ABC’s 7.30 program. “I expected to see changes and in the time I was with Greyhound Racing NSW, I didn’t see any changes. There is no commitment to animal welfare that I witnessed. There were many requests to euthanase dogs that I regarded as being unnecessary. People would request you to put a dog down because it was old and not performing well, because it had an injury and they said, “Oh, it’s not gonna be any good anymore.” You know, a good one costs you as much as a bad one and the way you make a profit is you get rid of the bad ones and just keep the good ones.”

Bryant now works for the Department of Agriculture. On 7 July this year, he was at the airport in Rockhampton, where he’d been auditing an abattoir, when he heard the news that Premier Mike Baird had banned greyhound racing in NSW.

“We were in the Qantas Club, I was with the other auditors, and you can get little bottles of wine, so we cracked out a couple and had a toast.”

Dr Bryant’s face relaxes. “It made it seem like I’d done something worthwhile.”


  1. So this compassionate person keeps fish, presumably in a tiny enclosure, and a python, also presumably in a tiny enclosure. What a way for these poor animals to live, bored out of their brains for years on end… Even Dr Bryant will tell you that greyhounds love to race. Their lives aren’t totally wasted like those fish and that snake. BTW I wonder what the snake eats? How many other animals die to feed this one snake throughout its life?

    • Odd that someone who shows such concern for fish and reptiles has so little concern for greyhounds, who are killed in their thousands annually by an industry whose only purpose is to provide objects for gamblers to wager upon.

      • I actually AM concerned for greyhounds Jeff. They love racing and people love betting on them and watching them race. I don’t see a problem with that, although I do see a problem with healthy dogs being put down, of any breed. I have two retired greyhounds and zero race dogs. One sleeps on my bed and the other sleeps in my room on her own sofa. They have a large backyard to play in, including a 50m run if they want to go for it, and every day they’re taken to a very large paddock to play in, unless it’s pouring rain. I care very much about them, so never assume because, well you know…

    • What a real smartarse you are, Graeme Beasley. You know damn well how cruel this industry is !!! The whole world knows !!!!

      • Let’s not start name calling Julie. Lots of things go on in the world that I have no control over. Every industry has its dark side but all I can do is make sure I do the right thing and speak up when I see someone doing the wrong thing. I take it you’ve seen all these wrongdoings first hand? Didn’t think so. I treat my dogs and all other animals with respect – if that’s being a smart arse too bad.

  2. Banning greyhound racing so quickly is my issue. I love the breed and their gentleness. What distresses me is you say you hate the thought of any dog’s being put down unnecessarily; and yet what do you think is going to happen to all the racing greyhounds of NSW once there is no work for them? I gather the good ones will move interstate…..but the others? So sad! This breaks my heart.

    • You love the breed and the gentleness ?? And yet you condone this industry ?? Breaks your heart that these beautiful animals will no longer live this life of cuelty ?? They’re better off not living.

  3. You haven’t understood my post. Not sure where i wrote that i condoned cruel treatment of greyhounds or supported the industry. Not all trainers are cruel. So you condone killing all racing greyhounds regardless. And you question my ethics? So glad you don’t mind disposing of innocent dogs. What next?

  4. I hate to say it, but did u read the part about dogs getting slow and old and getting put down?
    Now, these dogs have a race life and career. Once they arent making their talentless owners/trainers money they are disposed of.
    These people, regardless of the industry ending or not, will eventually palm the dogs off or kill them. So dont pretend that the industry shut down would be the only way these dogs would be culled. IT WOULD NOT BE A COMMERCIALLY VIABLE OR PROFITABLE INDUSTRY WITHOUT MASS DOG KILLING. from puppies, to pre training, to pre track to post track. These dogs get disposed of at any point of their damned careers. So just stop with the crap about “oh the poor dogs cuz the industrys getting shut down”.

    People with compassion and a sense of anything more than ethics of a person from the dark ages should be able to find entertainment in SOMETHING other than animals running in circles (yes i am also talking about horse racing) in todays day and age with the technology and advancements in all things entertainment. Lets move on with the 21st century please people and leave the poor goddamn animals of the gambling industry alone already!!!!

  5. It doesn’t need to be commercially viable or profitable Maria. As a matter of fact the vast majority of participants are hobbyists who ‘lose’ a LOT of money racing their dogs and it’s not from gambling, it’s simply from giving them the best they can afford. It seems to me that people who are against the sport/industry know very little about it, apart from the lies they read and hear from anti-racing groups and people with an axe to grind. If you’re anti-gambling go ahead and have gambling banned, it wouldn’t bother me one iota, but leave the dogs to do what they love to do.

    • You know very well that greyhound racing would not exist if it were not commercially viable by virtue of revenue from gambling. But instead you try to pretend that the racing industry is actually doing those dogs a favour by allowing them to race in extreme heat and cold at breakneck speed around dangerous oval tracks, and when they aren’t racing (i.e. 99% of the time) keeping them confined in kennel cages. if the vast majority of dog racers are hobbyists who “lose a lot of money racing” then shutting down the industry would be doing them a favour as well as the dogs. Instead all we hear about are the thousands of jobs that would be lost.

      • Good job and well said Jeff.

        Now mister Beasley. My uncle had a substantial career in dog racing in SA. So to assume that my knowledge purely extends from what anti racing or libber groups and greenies have to say is jumping to quite the conclusion. Ive been to the track when i was a kid, and even back a few years ago for a Greyhound Cup in adelaide and watched the death of a dog on the first bend, first hand.
        When researching into prohibited substances cycles and screening avoidance in the industry and substances used for performance enhancement, i went straight to the message boards of and even asked my uncle about hush hush stuff, having him confess to me about EPO and how many doses a dog could take before its blood coagulated and killed it and how each and every trainer would do what they could to gain an advantage which ever method it required.
        Ive read tassies and nsw commissioned reports, page for page and i know about the people involved in the industry and the lies they tell because of the shame they must feel, constantly trying to avoid persecution over exploiting, abusing and murdering helpless bloody dogs for the gambling industry. If you need to lie to yourself and say that the only way these dogs are going to have fun running is thru this sport, then you really are naive or just plain stupid. Every animal enjoys freedom and every dog loves to bloody run.
        If an animal is trained and rewarded to chase and kill or chase and run, it will enjoy it because thats what its been trained by its owner to do. These dogs can run and enjoy life without being expendable commodities to a heartless bunch of humans.

        I hope the industry suffocates in over regulation and peters out slowly, cuz god knows these ruthless owners breeders and trainers will kill all their dogs as soon as they are a liability to them if the racing industry DID end suddenly…. “They love their dogs” my ass. Absolute idiocy and corrupt greed. There should be no place for animals in sport and with gambling involved. Because them and their welfare takes a back seat…

        • Really ‘Maria S’, care to put your uncle’s name to it or is this just another of the made up ‘I’ve seen it first hand’ stories/lies that get told about the industry ad nauseum? My name’s there for all to see. So your uncle gave his greyhounds EPO… interesting.

          On the day that dog ‘allegedly’ died in Adelaide (maybe give us a year so that I can check), 680 domestic cats and dogs were pts in Australia. Racing is just a normal part of Australian life and greyhounds are treated no worse, and usually better, than most other pets and have similar life expectancy to other dogs.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here