Aurizon, a new product formulation and treatment for otitis externa in dogs, has been available in Europe, Canada and New Zealand for a number of years – and now in Australia. Prior to Aurizon’s introduction Ausrichter initiated a survey of small animal veterinary surgeons. The information from the survey indicated:
- The case load of otitis externa was estimated to be 15% – 30% of cases presented at clinics making diagnosis and treatment of otitis externa a significant part of small animal practice
- The tympanic membrane cannot be visualised in 30+% of dogs presented with otitis externa
- The following product benefits were considered important for Aurizon
- Once a day treatment – improves owner treatment compliance
- Contains marbofloxacin a new antibiotic reserved for veterinary use only
- Significant level of efficacy against gram negative bacteria including P aerugonisa
- Superior clinical trial results compared to commonly prescribed treatments in Australia
- Large clinical trial of 140 dogs with otitis externa were treated for 7 or 14 days with either Aurizon or Surolan (Janssen Animal Health; Issy–les-Monlineaux, France)
- Results of treatment; Sixty nine dogs (95.8%) treated with Aurizon and 57 dogs (83.8%) treated with Surolan responded satisfactorily (i.e cured or clearly improved) (Vet Dermatology 2005; 16 299-307).
Ausrichter Animal Health is the distributor of Aurizon Ear Drops suspension.